Occasionally, women are dissatisfied with the results of their initial breast augmentation. A number of our patients who have undergone breast augmentation performed by another surgeon seek out Dr. Andrew Cohen’s expertise to address their concerns. However, after breast revision surgery, Dr. Cohen has helped many women achieve the results they initially desired.
What Is Breast Revision?
Breast revision is a highly customizable procedure designed to improve the appearance of the breasts when a patient is disappointed with the results of a previous breast augmentation. This procedure can also be performed to replace a ruptured implant and restore symmetry between the breasts. Although breast revision can be a particularly complex procedure, Dr. Cohen is experienced in addressing women’s concerns to help them achieve the breast appearance they desire.
What Are the Common Reasons for Breast Revision Surgery?
One of the most common reasons for revision surgery is a hardening of the breasts after augmentation, called “capsular contracture.” Other women realize several months after their initial breast augmentation that they desire a larger – or sometimes smaller – implant size, and the implants can be exchanged for a new size. In some cases, the breast implants from an initial augmentation may shift position, causing the breasts to look asymmetrical, disproportionate, or creating rippling along the skin. Revision surgery can also replace old or hardened implants and capsules, restoring a natural look and feel to the breasts. Dr. Cohen can use a wide range of advanced breast revision techniques to achieve your cosmetic goals, including:
- Increase or decrease implant size
- Reduce or eliminate capsular contracture
- Correct “rippling” or wrinkling around the implant
- Improve symmetry between the breasts
- Replace an old or ruptured implant
- Remove an implant altogether
How Is the Breast Revision Procedure Performed?
The technique used for your breast revision surgery will depend upon your unique concerns. During your initial consultation with Dr. Cohen, he will listen carefully to your expectations, present you with options for how you may best achieve your goals, and enable you to make well-informed decisions about your health.
Outline of Typical Breast Revision Procedure
- Duration of Surgery: 2-3 hours, depending upon technique
- Anesthesia Type: General anesthesia
- Hospital Status: Outpatient
- Post-Operative: Mild soreness, sensitivity, swelling, or bruising
- Surgical Risks: Blood clots, infection, and (in rare instances) a recurrence of capsular contracture or rippling are among the risks of breast reduction surgery; however, Dr. Cohen is highly experienced with breast revision surgery and makes every effort to reduce the risk of complications.
- Duration of Recovery: One week before returning to work, several weeks before resuming exercise, and several months for scars to fade
- Results: Most revision surgery patients enjoy results that meet their expectations and can last up to ten years before replacement is advised. However, some patients may require or desire additional revision surgery or implant maintenance after a certain period of time. Many types of implants are under a long-term warranty.
What Can I Expect in Breast Revision Recovery?
The recovery from breast revision surgery should feel similar to the recovery from your initial breast augmentation. In some cases, patients report that recovery from revision surgery is faster and easier. Mild swelling, soreness, and bruising can be expected, and these side effects can be easily managed with oral pain medication. Patients should avoid lifting any object with substantial weight for 2-3 weeks, including children. Dr. Cohen recommends that mothers with small children arrange for some help around the house during the first couple weeks of recovery. Most patients return to work or their normal daily activities after one week. Strenuous physical exercise should be avoided for 4-6 weeks, depending upon the individual patient. Dr. Cohen will provide more comprehensive recovery instructions well before the date of your procedure, allowing you to make any necessary preparations.
How Much Does Breast Implant Revision Cost?
Particularly with breast revision surgery, a carefully customized surgical plan is essential for satisfactory results. Consequently, there is no fixed price for the procedure. Dr. Cohen will be able to provide you with a quote for the cost of your breast revision at the end of your initial consultation. Variables that can impact the total price of the procedure include the implant type, the placement of the implant, and the overall complexity of the surgery. The experience of your plastic surgeon as well as the geographic location of the practice can also affect the cost of breast revision when you compare the cost of breast revision across the country. Many patients choose to take advantage of our plastic surgery financing options, allowing the cost of breast revision to fit more comfortably into their budgets. These financing options can offer low monthly instalment plans with little to no interest. To learn more about financing your breast revision surgery, please contact a member of our staff for assistance.
To learn more about how breast revision surgery can help improve satisfaction with your breast implants and achieve your cosmetic goals, or to schedule a consultation, please contact our office today.