Arm Lift (Brachioplasty)
As we age, our skin begins to lose its elasticity – and our arms are no exception. Sagging or loose skin hanging from the upper arms is a major cosmetic concern for many of our patients. Though diet, exercise, and even liposuction can help tone the upper arms, you may still be left with excess skin. In these cases, Andrew Cohen, MD offers patients arm lift surgery (otherwise known as brachioplasty) to tighten the skin of the upper arms for a more youthful appearance. The benefits of upper arm surgery may include:
- Eliminating excess skin
- Firming and toning remaining skin
- Achieving a smoother, younger look to the arms
- Improving self-esteem
liposuction for more dramatic results. In addition, many of our patients undergo an arm lift as part of a post-bariatric body contouring treatment plan. Oftentimes, when patients gain and lose a significant amount of weight, the skin becomes stretched to a degree that cannot be corrected with additional diet or exercise. For these patients, an arm lift can be an integral component to completing their body transformation, leading a healthier lifestyle, and achieving the toned and youthful figure they desire.
Outline of Typical Arm Lift Procedure
- Duration of Surgery: 1-2 hours
- Anesthesia Type: General anesthesia
- Hospital Status: Outpatient
- Post-Operative: Mild swelling, bruising, and soreness
- Surgical Risks: Blood clots or infection are among the risks of arm lift surgery; however, Dr. Cohen is an experienced plastic surgeon and can employ techniques to minimize these risks. A compression garment is often worn around the arm and beneath clothing for 2 weeks after surgery to promote healing.
- Duration of Recovery: One week before returning to normal daily activities, 4-6 weeks avoiding heavy lifting, and several months for scars to fade. Scars can be concealed on the less visible sides of the arms.
- Results: Though the skin will still be susceptible to the effects of the natural aging process, time, and gravity, Dr. Cohen can tighten and tone the arms for long-lasting results.
To learn more about arm lift surgery, or to schedule a consultation, please contact our office today.